What is AS9110?
AS9110 is a standard that defines the quality system requirements for organizations whose primary business is in the aircraft industry at all levels of the MRO (Maintenance, Repair & Overhaul) process. AS9110 Rev C (2016) is the most recent version. This standard is tailored towards organizations with National Airworthiness Authority (NAA) repair station certification, however it is suitable for all organizations, including those that provide MRO for military aviation products. “AS9110 Certified” means an organization has met the requirements of AS9110C.
AS9110 Standard (document)
Specifically, AS9110 Standard is an SAE document developed by Working Group 11 of ISO TC20 and supported by the International Aerospace Quality Group (IAQG). This standard is accepted worldwide. The AS9110 standard is based on AS9100 and adds specific requirements that are critical for the MRO of commercial, private, and military aircrafts. If the organization creates a Quality Management System which meets these requirements they can seek AS9110 Registration, resulting in their “AS9110 Certificate”.
AS9110 = ISO 9001 + additional IAQG requirements, so certification to AS9110 includes certification to the popular ISO 9001 standard as well. A copy of ISO 9001 standard is not required because the text is already included in the AS9110 Standard.
Here are some helpful tools to learn about AS9100 Certification:
- AS9110 Quick Start Kit
- Steps to AS9110 Certification
- AS9110 Requirements
- Learn about all the Aerospace Standards mentioned in AS9110
Here are some helpful products that wil help you achieve certifiation:
- AS9110C All in One Certification Package
- AS9110 Rev C Gap Analysis Checklist
- AS9110 Rev C Internal Auditor Training Package
Some things to understand about AS9110:
- There are three ASD Standards, typically mutually exclusive:
- AS9110 mentions several other guidance standards that you should understand. These additional standards don’t require certification, they provide guidance.
- Registrar issues an AS9110 Certificate demonstrating that your organization is Registered to AS9110 (and ISO 9001) for a three year period. (See Who is able to grant certification)
Who is AS9110 for?
AS9100 is tailored for organizations with national airworthiness authority (NAA) repair station certification, but is also suitable for non-certificated organizations including those that provide maintenance, repair, and overhaul services for military aviation products. Companies whose primary business is providing maintenance, repair, and overhaul services for aviation sector products.
It is also intended to be used by organizations with maintenance, repair, and overhaul operations that operate autonomously, or that are substantially different from their manufacturing operations.
- PAMA members (Professional Aviation Maintenance Association)
- FAA 145 certified repair stations
- Companies seeking Parts Manufacturing Approval (PMA) from the FAA to manufacture aircraft parts and components
Versions of AS9110
There are several versions of AS9110 as discussed below:
AS9110 Rev C (2016)
AS9110 Rev C (2016) includes the ISO 9001:2015 requirements and supplements them with additional quality system requirements. Compare AS9110 to ISO 9001:2015. Many of the changes (including) derived from the changes in ISO 9001, like:
- adopting the Annex L High Level Structure
- Context of the organization
- Interested Parties
- Accountability of top management
- Documented information
- Replacement of preventive action with risk based thinking
- Change Management Program
However, AS9110 Rev C institutes some unique changes:
- Product Safety/Safety Management- added clause
- Counterfeit Part and Suspected Unapproved Parts Prevention- added clause
- Installation of Approved Parts- Added Clause
- Continuing Airworthiness Management- covered in 8.3 Design and Development
- Several New Terms Introduced and definitions removed
- Evaluation of New Capability
- Risk Management- follows the new ISO requirements and emphasizes risks in operational processes and risks during transition period
- Awareness- improved from AS9100B- focuses on Human Factors
- Management Representative- quality manager and post holders added
- Delivery Support
- Control of Work Transfer
- Quality Manual
AS9110 Rev B (2012)
AS9100B includes ISO 9001:2008 quality management system requirements and specifies additional aviation maintenance industry requirements, definitions, and notes as shown in bold, italic text. AS9110B emphasizes that the requirements specified in this standard are complementary, and not alternative, to contractual and applicable statutory and regulatory requirements.
AS9110 Rev A (2009)
This standard includes ISO 9001:2008 quality management system requirements.
The AS9110 standard includes ISO 9001:2000 quality management system requirements and specifies additional requirements. AS9110 is is based on AS9100 but was developed to add specific requirements that are critical for the maintenance of commercial, private, and military aircrafts